Retro's Story

It is with a very heavy heart I bring to you our precious Retro's story

Beautiful Retro with her newborn babies 2014

Six months prior, she went to live with my daughter's best friend. The entire family fell in love with her and and she them. They took her out early every morning to chase squirrels. She went hiking almost every day as well. She was a wonderful house dog and just loved being the only dog to soak up all the attention from her family. We always referred to her as "the desperate sister" because she needed love so badly.  
Saturday evening 1-14-2017 when the family was out, Retro got into a family size BBQ chip bag that a friend left in one of the girls rooms on a shelf. When they arrived home sweet Retro didn't greet them at the door. She had suffocated from getting her head stuck in that chip bag. 
Oh how I wish I knew about this very real danger before Saturday.... Retro was only 5 years old and had so much love to give. She was such an obedient girl that only wanted to please. 
Please keep completely out of reach ANY chip bag, popcorn bag, cereal box with bag inside, small dog or cat food bag, and really any bag that has had food in it and once the bag is empty, cut it down the entire side so a dog cannot get his or her head inside. 
Please spread the word about this horrific danger to help save other beloved pets. 
How I wish someone would have told me about this but from now on, I will tell others...
      Dear desperate sister, I'll miss you forever and I'm so very thankful for your two precious daughters that I personally have as well as so many other blessed families that have a little piece of you to love... I'm so sorry sweet girl

keeping your best friend safe


Many people erroneously believe that a dog can simply remove a chip bag from his head with his front paws or tear through it with his claws. This is just not the case.  Once the bag starts to seal around the dog’s neck, it’s extremely difficult to break the suction of the seal. ALL dogs are vulnerable to pet suffocation – no matter their size, breed, or age.  No dog, from a tiny teacup poodle to a massive Great Dane, can win a fight with a chip bag or other plastic bag over his head once the bag seals and he starts to lose oxygen.  Please review the preventive safety measures in the next column to help keep your pets, both dogs and cats, safe from pet suffocation.

Let's Do Our Part To Stop More Trageties

image1

  • Keep all chip/snack/pet food bags safely stored away from your pet.
  • Tear or cut up all chip bags and food bags after use.
  • Store chips/snacks/pet food in resealable plastic containers.
  • Serve chips and snacks in glass bowls or containers instead of in bags.
  • Keep all trash can lids tightly fastened, locked, or behind a cabinet.
  • Keep kitchen pantry door closed.
  • Learn CPR for pets.
  • Do not allow your pets to roam freely in the house while you are away.
  • Alert all your friends and family about the suffocation dangers of bags.
  • Educate pet sitters and babysitters about pet suffocation prevention.
  • Be extra vigilant during family and holiday gatherings.
  • Lobby companies to add warning labels on snack/cereal/dog food bags.
  • Share this website on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
  • Visit, “Like” and Share Prevent Pet Suffocation on Facebook.
  • Follow Prevent Pet Suffocation on Twitter @4YouBlue2.
  • Follow Prevent Pet Suffocation on Instagram @PreventPetSuffocation.